Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Why Another Cricket Blog?


If one truth were to be told, I really don't have time for this. Waking life in the rat race is almost fully split between work and family, with any left over time devoted the demands of my several other hobbies. There really isn't time to do justice to a blog like this.

If another truth were to be told, if there's one thing this world does not need it's more writing about cricket. The Internet is already overflowing with cricket writing of the entire spectrum from news articles to professional bloggers to the forum posts and cricinfo comments of semi-literate but enthusiastic fans. Physical cricket books are published all the time.

A third truth, to round out three for the post, is that I read a lot about cricket. I don't really have time for that either, but I do it anyway. ESPNcricinfo is a daily destination, especially it's many excellent columnists. Two of my favourite cricket blogs are Leg Side Filth and The Old Batsman, both thoughtful and well written.

So why write articles here, despite all this? Well, cricket is a passion of mine. It occupies a share of my waking thoughts. My mother in law likens it to her soap operas - an insightful comparison.

Then there is the dearth of South African cricket bloggers. SA Cricket Blog looms largest on the scene, but to me it feels a little slick and soulless. The SuperSport Cricket Blog is a media outlet. If there are others I haven't found them yet. In the great deluge of online cricket writing I struggle to find a voice that doesn't speak with an English, Australian or Indian accent.

So there we have it. I'll give this endeavour a year and see where it goes. Perhaps I can scratch an itch and put words to some of my thoughts. Updates will be on Mondays, if I'm able to keep the content coming. Here's to 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment