Monday, January 20, 2014

SA Spin

Image from ESPNCricinfo
Cricinfo's estimable Firdose Moonda published an article on South Africa's spin talent.

Here's how I see it playing out in Tests.

Of those the Moonda mentions in the article, I'd play Robin Peterson nine times out of ten. South Africa always look more comfortable with a containing spinner. Robbie P isn't as much one of those as Harris was, but he can do the job. As a bowling allrounder Peterson's batting and fielding ability makes him my default available choice.

Then there's Imran Tahir. There's no doubting his talent and experience, but as we saw in the UAE, Tahir is only really useful at Test level when you get the combination of a turning track and an inept opposition batting lineup. I'd play him on those days, otherwise I think his best contribution to South African cricket would be to keep plying his trade in the SunFoil series, hoodwinking our young domestic batsmen. At least it'll mean that when they get a shot at an international game it won't be the first time they've seen a googly. When he retires let's get him and Harro set up in a spin bowling academy. His experience is valuable. Tahir is also a better bowler in limited overs formats than the long form, so I think he still has a role to play there.

That's it for the incumbents. Frankly I'd consider coaxing Harris out of retirement (he's only 35), or reaching out to Johan Botha again (only 31). But team politics have probably shut the door on both of those options. It's a pity, not the least because Botha might have made a better captain than AB de Villiers. But that's an article for another day.

For the youngsters, I'd back Simon Harmer as the next in line. He's young, he turns the ball, he can bat, and he already has a first class bowling average and strike rate comparable to any of Peterson, Tahir, Harris, Boje or Adams.

Eddie Leie might get a go ahead of Harmer. He's older but has a better first class strike rate and average. I haven't seen enough of him to make a call, but if he gets a chance I hope he takes it.

I don't rate any of Dane Piedt, Prenelan Subrayen, Aaron Phangiso or Werner Coetsee as international prospects. The first two are young so maybe they'll still surprise me.

The best young spinner in the country with Harmer and Leie might just be Dane van Niekerk. Now her I'd love to see enrolled in the Tahir & Harris SA Spin Academy and bowling in the SunFoil series, but I guess that's unlikely to ever happen. Keep an eye on her career, I reckon she'll dominate in our woman's team.

No comments:

Post a Comment